Telling People You Are A Witch (How To Deal With Intolerance)
by Rose Ariadne
Whatever path you choose in witchcraft will be padded with challenges (like in everything). One of these challenges may happen early on – people are going to ask questions about your beliefs, and it’s important to know how to “put it” without turning them off.
You may feel uneasy about other people discovering your beliefs, no matter which path you follow in Witchcraft.
As a wicca beginner, follow this short guide to help people understand.
You may even have people close to you that you already know would not accept your beliefs.
The first thing you need to understand is that there is nothing that says you even have to come out with your beliefs. You don’t have to tell anyone if you don’t want. It is easy to keep it a secret.
There are many people with different beliefs that never tell anyone what those beliefs truly are.
Your beliefs are very personal, and they are not for anyone else’s ears if you don’t want them to be.
But, if you feel as though you want to tell the world that you are a Witch (or if somebody does some snooping, and finds out and confronts you), here are some guidelines to follow:
* It is best to wait for the other person to bring it up. Avoid bringing it up yourself.
* Know what that persons beliefs are first. Have a good understanding of their beliefs before you talk about yours.
* Once you know what the other persons beliefs are, find a common ground between yours and theirs – focus on the similarities. (Example: Christians believe in helping others, and do those following the Wiccan way – etc.)
* It is best to prepare for this discussion beforehand by making a list of the people in your life that you may talk about this with. Along with their names, write out what their beliefs are as best you can, and write down the things you will say in your discussion with them.
* Never try to change anybody’s view. You can’t do it, especially if they are older. You are just looking for them to accept you for who you are.
Note: I haven’t included any specific things that you should say, word for word because it is important to actually hear me say them, so that you can practice how you would say them. I provide a detailed video demonstration of exactly what (and how) to tell intolerant people in my Witchcraft Home Academy. It is my job to make sure you can gain acceptance of your views, and reduce the risk of people looking down on you.
Rose has been practicing different forms of Witchcraft for over 27 years. For more information on wiccan beginners visit her site “The Ask Rose Ariadne Witchcraft Site“