Tuning In to Your Psychic Abilities
Did you know that you are psychic? You are, even though you may not think so. Many people do not understand this special natural ability. It is often unwelcome and misunderstood, not only by psychics but also by family, friends, and strangers. You will learn about the levels of consciousness, psychic intuition, and how to enter a state of focus. You’ll also learn how to connect to your third eye, a location in the body through which many psychics receive their information.
Discovering What Is Inside You
Everyone is psychic. Everything that you have experienced so far in this lifetime has helped develop your ability. Your psychic ability, like any other talent or characteristic, is a product of your physical self, your environment, your relationships, and your inherited genetics. Remember that you are the keeper of your own ability. It is there waiting to be put to positive use. No matter what you read or what others tell you, it is your soul that knows the answers. The goal here is for you to identify and become comfortable with your own special psychic abilities.
Unfortunately, the idea of being psychic often conjures up the image of gypsy fortunetellers or pay-per-minute phone psychics. And like in any industry, there are some bad apples out there who only want to fleece you out of your hard-earned money with their “mystical insights.” Nowadays, certain books and programs focus on helping you control the world around you for your sole benefit. As a result, many people try to misuse their gifts for self-gain rather than to benefit the universe and help others along the pathways of life.
Because it is different for every person, it is impossible to explain exactly what the psychic process is like. No one else has a mind that is identical to yours. Many psychic courses designed to enhance intuitive abilities are taught using a model that the instructor prefers. However, if you, the participant, are not of a similar mind, your initial enthusiasm can easily turn to frustration.
Try to think of it like this: Each soul has a map to follow during its lifetime. The map should be used as a guide to learning life lessons and resolving old karma. Whether or not you follow this map is your individual choice. You must use your free will to choose to become in tune with your psychic ability.
WHO WAS PSYCHE?
The word psychic comes from the Greek word psyche, meaning “spirit” or “soul.” In Greek mythology, Psyche, a girl who loved the god Eros and suffered through many trials because of it, personifies the soul. Through her suffering, she became a great soul (or soulful).
Opening Yourself to Communication
The question of whether life continues in some form after death is still being debated, without any widely accepted answer as of yet. Messages from the dead, communication through symbols, visitations by the dead in dreams, and many other occurrences point to some channel of communication existing between our world and that of the spirits—a channel that you could tap into. If you desire to make connections to the afterlife, the key is to remain open to all possibilities of communication.
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO COMMUNICATE?
The purpose of afterlife communication differs from person to person. Those left behind often try to reach out to the dead to assuage their grief or any guilt associated with the person’s death. Being able to talk to or sense the dead person can bring you a feeling of closure and may ease the pain of the loss. Many turn to their dead relatives for guidance or advice during difficult times. A Ouija board or similar communication tool may be used, or a medium may act as a link to the deceased.
In many other instances, it is the spirit that initiates communication. The spirit may wish to complete unfinished business or help family members during troubled times. (A well-publicized occurrence was the appearance of farmer James Chaffin’s spirit to disclose the whereabouts of his will to his son.) Other spirits simply want their family to know that they are happy. Symbolic or subliminal messages that can readily be associated with the deceased are often received in such cases. The deceased may also visit the living in their dreams.
KEEP AN OPEN MIND
Everybody loses a loved one at some point in their life. But only a few experience a sense of the deceased’s continuing presence after the person’s death. Mediums are able to sense these “people” due to their heightened perceptions or extraordinary talents. But many “normal” people with no special abilities have had similar experiences too. Researchers believe that to establish communication with the spirits, you must be prepared to believe when confronted with signs or symbols.
ACTIVELY PREPARING FOR SPIRIT COMMUNICATION
Before you contact a professional medium, you can try to establish a connection with the spirit yourself. This serves three purposes:
1. You can commit to your belief that you can communicate and this helps you keep an open mind about the process.
2. You are just as likely to sense your loved one’s presence as a medium, who is a stranger.
3. You can “broadcast” your intent and hope to reach the deceased’s spirit; this draws the spirit to communicating with you.
It is believed that spirits are in a different realm than the living because they are not burdened by flesh or mired in the complexities of our world. Electromagnetic instruments and other tools have been used to determine the variations in energetic vibrational frequencies between the dead and living. These variations make it difficult for the living to communicate easily with the dead. This is why mediums who can duplicate the vibration are able to reach a spirit at times when a loved one cannot.
There are many ways to become more receptive to sensing the presence of the dead:
- Cultivate a calm state of mind: Anger, grief, guilt, fear, and other strong emotions are barriers to communication. They close your mind to the subtle signs and subliminal messages that may be conveyed by the spirits. Relax your mind and calm yourself before you try to “reach” your deceased loved ones.
- Create an open atmosphere: The atmosphere of the area where you are initiating the communication must be calm and silent. Surround yourself with items associated with the deceased, like photographs, personal items, and other things that evoke positive memories of the person. These positive energies call to the spirit and also help keep negative energies at bay.
- Consciously reach out to the spirit: Make a conscious effort in your mind to reach out to the spirit. This, again, “broadcasts” your intent and need to communicate, and this need will draw the spirit to you.
- Encourage a receptive dream state: Just before you go to sleep, ask your loved one to contact you. Spirits find it the easiest to make contact through the dream state and will often meet you there to communicate. Keep a pad of paper and a pen or an audio recorder next to your bed so when you wake you can record any instances of contact that might have occurred
COMMUNICATE WITH GOOD INTENTIONS
It is important that you ask for communication with the “highest and best intentions” and for it to be “surrounded with the white light of love.” This will set the conditions of any contact and will filter out any unwanted residual energy in your field.
Be aware that it may take time; several attempts may be required to establish the link. The afterlife is still mostly shrouded in mystery. How the communication happens and what restrictions there are on the spirits are unknown, and every spirit may not be able to communicate in the same manner and at a time of its choosing. Sometimes you may get indirect answers or messages that are not relevant to your questions at all. Still, any such contact demonstrates the possibility of opening a channel of communication, and is a successful attempt.
Your Psychic Intuition
Beyond thoughts and prayers lies another level of communication with the other side—your psychic abilities. When exploring your psychic abilities, it’s helpful to start by thinking of your existence as a whole. You exist almost simultaneously in three different minds:
1. The conscious mind is your thinking mind and is aware of the events taking place around you.
2. Your unconscious mind is the place where all of your memories are stored. It is constantly sending images up to your conscious mind.
3. Your unconscious mind connects you to your third mind, the Universal Mind, which is the source of all knowledge in the universe, including the present, the past, and the future.
There are three types of psychic intuition
1. Deductive: comes from the unconscious mind
2. Random: comes from the Universal Mind
3. Goal-focused: works through all three minds
Your mental makeup determines the type of intuition that is yours. Each person has a unique form of intuition that may be a blend of any of the three types.
DEDUCTIVE PSYCHIC INTUITION
Deductive psychic images come from your unconscious mind’s ability to take in external sensory stimuli. That’s not as complicated as it sounds. Your five sensory receivers—eyes, ears, mouth, skin, and nose—are constantly bombarded with stimuli in the form of external pictures, sounds, tastes, tactile sensations, temperature changes, and smells. You also experience external emotions or energies unrecognized by your conscious mind. You take in a lot of information that you are not consciously aware of because it is absorbed by the unconscious mind, where it is stored.
When your conscious mind has a question that it cannot answer, this question will also go to the unconscious mind, which will mull over the problem and rely on its stored data to come up with a response. In the meantime, your conscious mind usually goes on to another subject and forgets what it was looking for. But your unconscious mind stays hard at work. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a psychic insight appears. Your unconscious mind has come to a logical psychic solution to your problem, one that your conscious mind hadn’t thought of.
Excerpted from The Supernatural Guide to the Other Side: Interpret signs, communicate with spirits, and uncover the secrets of the afterlife by Adams Media. Copyright © 2017 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.