Embracing Your Life After 50 to Find Fulfillment, Purpose, and Joy
By Andrea Brandt, PhD, MFT
“There is no magical age at which we need to abandon our dreams and surrender our possibilities,” says renowned psychologist Dr. Andrea Brandt. So, as you think about growing older — which we all do, if we’re lucky — ask yourself:
- Am I really prepared to grow older?
- How can I make the most of what life still has to offer?
- How do I overcome the negative feelings and fears I have over getting older?
- What changes can I make in my life right now to lead a more meaningful life as I age?
In Mindful Aging: Embracing Your Life After 50 to Find Fulfillment, Purpose, and Joy [PESI Publishing, October 10, 2017], Dr. Brandt delivers the answers to these questions and challenges readers to throw out old stereotypes about aging, look at inspiring new evidence, and open ourselves to the very real possibilities that exist for us right now.
“Giving up a salaried occupation – if that’s what we choose – doesn’t mean giving up purposeful interaction with the world around us. Rather than take feelings of exhaustion and boredom to mean we need to retire, might these negative attitudes be more likely to indicate the need to reinvent ourselves, to explore new territory that brings us back to life and develops the skills we need to flourish there?”
With thought provoking real world stories and examples, Dr. Brandt challenges men and women to rethink aging. In Mindful Aging, Dr. Brandt:
- Identifies cultural and societal connotations about aging and how – and why – we need to rethink them
- Offers specific key ways to increase your happiness as you get older
- Enlightens readers on the role of mindfulness in creating positive change
- Examines the need for creating a vision for life after 50, and how to deal with fear, loss, and resistance along the way
- Outlines the fundamentals for a healthy, happy post-middle age – from relationships and wellness to mental health, spirituality and more
- Describes how to let go of feelings and experiences that no longer serve you from your past
- And so much more!
“That we age is inevitable. How we age is largely up to us,” Dr. Brandt adds. “As the last of the Baby Boomers have now turned 50 and another 10,000 of their generation retire each day, a huge number of Americans find themselves confronted with the changes and challenges that come with older age and with the reality of finite life. I wanted to offer a beacon of renewal on steady shore for those who temporarily feel lost at sea.”
Andrea Brandt, PhD, MFT, has over 35 years of clinical experience as a renowned psychotherapist, speaker, and author. In her work, Dr. Brandt reveals positive paths to emotional health that teach you how to reinvent and empower yourself. She emphasizes the mind-body-heart connection as a key to mental, physical, and emotional wellness.
A featured media expert, Dr. Brandt has appeared on numerous television programs, radio shows, and podcasts. She is a contributor to Psychology Today and has written blog posts for The Huffington Post, Mind Body Green, Psych Central, and more. Long recognized as a pioneer in the field of treating anger issues, Dr. Brandt is the author of 8 Keys to Eliminating Passive-Aggressiveness, Mindful Anger: A Pathway to Emotional Freedom and her newest book, Mindful Aging: Embracing Your Life After 50 to Find Fulfillment, Purpose, and Joy.